Monday, April 18, 2016

My Favorite Water Sport, by Will Stanton



I suppose I could regard this topic of “My Favorite Water Sport” to be rather presumptuous. It assumes that I engage in a variety of water sports, let alone doing any at all - - which I don't.  I never have.

I do, however, swim frequently; and I have done that most of my life.  Of course for me, that's not a sport.  Swimming would fall under the athletic heading of “physical education and recreation,” that is, I do it for exercise and health.  Ergo, “re-creation.”

My parents taught me very young to swim, probably starting around two or three.  We would go frequently to the university swimming pool.  I never have enjoyed being exposed to chlorine, but the indoor pool had the advantage of being open during inclement and cold weather.

I actually signed up for, and completed, a life-guard class so that I could get a job at the city pool during the summer.  The teacher, however, after the class was completed, refused to give me my certificate because she said that, at age fifteen, I was too young.  I had to be sixteen.  Thanks a lot!  Why didn't she tell me that at the start?

By the time I was twenty, I had developed sufficient breath capacity that I could swim 2 ¼ lengths of the pool under water in one breath.  Now that I am superannuated, I don't even put my face under.

During summers, my brother and I used to go to the city pool.  That was the setting for my first sexual dream, “seeing” a girl swimming under water, nude.  I wasn't all that fond of the city pool.  It was situated near the junk yard next to the river, which occasionally flooded the whole area including the pool.  My knowing what was in that flood-water did not thrill me very much.  And, that flooding didn't even have anything to do with the “Baby Ruth” that I saw floating there one day.

During some summers, I swam in a variety of lakes.  There were two man-made lakes nearby.  Also, my family and I did some camping near lakes, and we invariably swam.  I recall one called “Crystal Lake,“ and it certainly was.  The lake had a pure white, sandy bottom with nothing growing and with no fish.  I could look straight down to the bottom.  I also attended several summer camps, and, of course, they always were situated adjacent to lakes.

On several occasions, I swam in the ocean.  I did not care for the salt and the waves and, sometimes, cold, especially on the North-Atlantic coast.  I especially was wary of the Portuguese men-of-war floating about or on the beach in Florida.

 At least, I did not suffer the fate of the scuba-diver off the lighthouse point who was pulled under and killed by a giant squid.  Those who recovered his body claimed that, from the size of the sucker marks on him, that the squid may have been sixty feet long.  That sounds rather extreme, but recent explorations have filmed squid bigger than that. That could not have been a very enjoyable way to go.

I still swim several days per week at the pool here in the city.  That assumes, of course, that it is not shut down again for maintenance.  As I said before, I now am superannuated; therefore, I choose to attend the “seniors swim hour,” which I refer to as “the old farts' swim.” 
 
Elderly Man Swimming

During summers when they have had youth swimming classes just before ours, and the boys in the locker room see us shambling wrecks of dissipated humanity, I wonder what they think.  Or perhaps, they, being so young, cannot relate to us.  Perhaps they regard us as non-human aliens.       

Young Swimmer

© 22 Oct 2016 

About the Autho

I have had a life-long fascination with people and their life stories.  I also realize that, although my own life has not brought me particular fame or fortune, I too have had some noteworthy experiences and, at times, unusual ones.  Since I joined this Story Time group, I have derived pleasure and satisfaction participating in the group.  I do put some thought and effort into my stories, and I hope that you find them interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment